We are known for our technical expertise in the field of contaminant hydrogeology.
Our team has extensive experience in the field of hydrogeology:
- Hydrogeological studies for various sites
- Application of environmental isotope techniques in hydrogeology
- Determination of wellhead protection and catchment areas for pumping wells
- Assessment of aquifer vulnerability to contamination and creation of vulnerability maps
- Numerical modelling of groundwater flow
- Pumping and permeability tests
- Groundwater exploration (for catchment)
Hydrogeological studies consist of collecting information and analyzing existing data in order to define and understand groundwater flow in a specific area. With our knowledge and understanding of hydrogeology, we can answer your questions, predict how an existing contaminant will behave, or prevent contamination altogether.
Our expertise in hydrogeology and water resource management also extends to numerical modelling using Visual Modflow Flex, isotope and geochemical characterization of aquifers and hydrogeochemical models (such as USGS’s NETPATH and PHREEQC codes), and contaminant hydrogeology.
Savaria Experts-Conseils has conducted numerous impact studies on surface and groundwater quality and on drinking water supply in connection with the TransCanada Energy East pipeline (see Projects).
With over 25 years of experience in contaminant hydrogeology, our team can assist you with your projects.
- Investigation of the origin and physicochemical properties of the main organic, inorganic, and bacteriological contaminants in soil and groundwater
- Solid understanding of geochemical contaminant behaviour
- Development and interpretation of contaminant recovery trials
- Transport mechanisms and physicochemical mitigation of contaminants in aquifers
- Determination of contaminant age and migration times
- Numerical modelling of contamination plumes over time
Essentially, the goal of hydrogeological studies is obtain and interpret the data needed to define and understand groundwater flow in the area under investigation.
Understanding the characteristics and hydrogeological data of an environment helps us predict a contaminant’s behaviour and implement recovery systems to control or reduce contamination.
Savaria Experts-Conseils has drawn on hydrological studies to present counter-expertise in a number of legal cases.
- Hydrology measurements and data acquisition
- Hydrological risk and frequency analyses
- Watershed water balance assessments
- Hydrological modelling (HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS)
- Water supply estimates
- Reconstruction of natural flows
- Studies on surface water impact on current and future developments
Understanding the hydrological mechanics of a site or watershed is essential for analyzing the impacts water will have on current and future developments.
Hydrological studies are based on relevant knowledge of the site in question, the geometry of the watercourses, and the physical characteristics of the watershed on which the site is located. The main factors to consider are the type of soil, how the land is used, the type of plant cover, and the presence of watercourses. This data makes it possible to choose the right parameters and coefficients when analyzing flows by watershed.
These hydrological data points are fundamental to a variety of works and undertakings, including soil bioengineering techniques using vegetation to stabilize shorelines (brush mattresses, fascines, etc.), retention techniques (settling or retention ponds, filter marshes, etc.), and culvert design.